Unique-project: EqUal iNclusIon of LGBTIQ stUdents in VET
The Unique project focuses on developing on training of VET (vocational education and training) teachers in Europe. This Erasmus+ KA3 project has 9 partners from Greece, the Netherlands, Poland, Cyprus, Croatia and Germany. The project will be implemented in 2021 and 2022 in Greece, Poland, Cyprus and Croatia.
Would you like to rate our draft UNIQUE Policy Recommendations and comment on them? Please take our short survey!
Register for the UNIQUE Final Conference on 12 May! Free, in Brussels and online!
Attention to LGBTIQ people in vocational education has been neglected.
The UNIQUE project aimed to reverse negative perceptions and attitudes towards LGBTIQ+ learners in vocational education and training (VET). It focused on training VET teachers to more openly discuss “sensitive” issues in the classroom and more specifically to support LGBTIQ+ students. The project undertook the following activities:
- Mapping LGBTIQ+ related discrimination in the partner countries and non-discriminatory educational strategies in VET
- Developing e-learning training for VET teachers
- Pilot testing of the training material
- Promotion of inclusion by VET teachers who become ambassadors for inclusion
The project hopes to:
- enhance visibility of sexual and gender diversity into VET education by tracking discriminatory behaviors against LGBTIQ learners and teachers
- improve the expertise and competences of VET teachers
- to create an inclusive VET training system
The project has 9 partners: AKMI (vocational institute, Athens, Greece), GALE (international LGBTIQ organization, based in Amsterdam), IBP International Polish Association (NGO, Krakow, Poland), KES College (vocational institute Nicosia, Cyprus), NAVETS (Association for promotion of VET, Sofia, Bulgaria), VUA - Visoko Uciliste Algebra (educational IT provider, Zagreb, Croatia), CCI Center for Civil Initiatives Poreč (human rights NGO, Poreč, Croatia), Symplexis (NGO social on cohesion, Athens, Greece), BK Consult (service provider EU projects, Germany)
News and updates
The project proposal was awarded in August 2020. Due to COVID-19 the project started in January 2021. Check out the website at uniqueproject.eu/, the Facebook page uniqueproject.eu/ and the LinkedIn page uniqueproject.eu.
- 30 May 2023: Short Dutch presentation and discussion meeting: register here; Zoom link
- 12 May 2023: Final conference Brussels (or online): register here
- 5 May 2023: Press release on the final conference
- 27 April 2023: European UNIQUE project approaches final events
- 21 April 2013: UNIQUE project warns against increasing discrimination through social media
- 15 March 2023: Emotional intelligence needed for safer schools
- 19 October 2021: Presentation of preliminary conclusions from the needs assessment during the World Anti Bullying Conference in Stockholm (2 November 2021): PowerPoint presentation, video recording
- 27 March 2021: New project researches LGBTIQ discrimination in vocational education
This project is co-financed by the European Erasmus+ KA3 program. The European Commission support for the production of this publication does not constitute an endorsement of the contents which reflects the views only of the authors, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.