Unique-project: EqUal iNclusIon of LGBTIQ stUdents in VET
The Unique project focuses on developing on training of VET (vocational training) teachers in Europe. This Erasmus+ KA3 project has 9 partners from Greece, the Netherlands, Poland, Cyprus, Croatia and Germany. The project will be implemented in 2021 and 2022.
Discrimination against LGBT people is a reality, even in countries where LGBTQI individuals’ civic rights are well established. Despite the progress being made, current educational structure seems to be lagging behind the social reality, particularly in the VET sector, which, counter to the compulsory education, LGBTIQ people have been neglected. The study of the Eurobarometer on Discrimination 2019 on how comfortable the respondents would feel if one of their colleagues would be a transgender person, is revealing, with the EU average to be below 50%.
Our proposal aims at reversing the perceptions and attitudes towards LGBTIQ learners in VET education. VET teachers are not trained or prepared to openly discuss in the classroom issues that are considered “sensitive” or may be biased themselves. The project undertakes the following activities:
- Mapping non-discriminatory educational strategies in VET, taking into account discrimination levels related with gender-based diversity in VET institutions
- Developing e-learning training for VET teachers which promotes using gender-based diversity curricula
- Pilot testing of the training material
- A promotion campaign to advocate the use of the e-learning
Taking the above into consideration, our project will offer the following impact:
- Enhancement of representation of LGBTQI young learners into VET education by tracking discriminatory behaviors against LGBTIQ learners and teachers
- Improvement of expertise and competences of VET teachers
- Creation of an inclusive VET system
News and updates
The project proposal was awarded in August 2020. Due to COVID-19 the start of the project will be in December 2020, with the activities following in 2021.